Monday, April 8, 2013

Gorges du Verdon

Two weekends ago, I went on what we call a "George trip" which is a sort of travel service called Decouverte de la Provence that's organized by a man named George. He does little day trips to different areas around Provence that anyone can sign up for. This one was to the Gorges du Verdon, aka the Grand Canyon of France. It was raining the whole time so that was a bit of a downer, but there was a lot of fog that made it look really neat. The whole area was beautiful and I am hoping I will get back there on a nicer day!

 This is the man-made lake that the river leads into. The color of the water was just incredible and we couldn't figure out why it was the color it is! I googled it and learned that it's that color because of a lot of fluoride in the water. I had been thinking it looked like toothpaste...



After we saw the lake area and this entrance to the Gorges, we stopped in a town called Moustiers-Sainte-Marie.


We climbed up to the church at the top of the hill

Rocky stairs



Fields of maybe olive trees?


Walking back down from the church


Then we drove through the Gorges, which was quite terrifying in a huge tour bus on all the winding mountain roads. Unfortunately because of the rainy weather, we only made a couple short stops to take pictures. When the weather is better, you can go swimming or canoeing through the area.






I hope I get to return on a nicer day and bring my family when they are here!

1 comment:

  1. what stunning views! you guys have to go there when k, n, and e show up!

    ReplyDelete